Find your family in historic newspapers!
Download OldNews USA and discover family stories lost to history!
Designed for both genealogists and history enthusiasts, the OldNews USA app makes getting started with historical newspaper research easier than ever. With OldNews USA, you can quickly discover interesting stories and articles in historical US newspapers using the Chronicling America collection of over 11 million newspaper pages from 1789 to 1924.
OldNews USA is free to try, including all research features. After a few successful searches and file saves, a one time in-app purchase (currently $2.99 USD) is required to continue using the app. So what are you waiting for? Try OldNews USA today!
My Vision for Genealogy Research Software
Revgenea Software is out to revolutionize the field of genealogy software. We need to make family history more approachable and accessible for the average person. In today’s increasingly mobile world, we should be able to research our family from anywhere, whenever we have a few minutes, and use the power of our mobile devices to make finding those family stories easier and faster.
How do we achieve this vision? All of our genealogy apps have the following qualities:
- Designed for mobile first. Our apps are designed from the beginning to minimize data entry, and to summarize important information using limited screen space. Mobile-first apps are easy to use. Unfortunately, most of today’s genealogy apps are designed for the web first. Their mobile apps are the poor second cousin to the web versions, with fewer features that are difficult to use.
- Make it easy to get started. Our apps let you describe what you want to find, then help you to find it quickly.
- Search is king! Our apps automatically save every search you try, so you can easily retrieve and modify a search without reentering all of the search terms. Also, our search capability is full-featured, with support for all advanced search options. Finally, our apps help people learn how to use the advanced search options by example.
- Automate best practices. Our apps automate best research practices such as source citations and research logs.
OldNews USA is the first app that applies my vision to the problem of historic newspaper research. Give it a try today, and join me in raising the bar for genealogy research software.
OldNews USA Wins The RootsTech 2017 Innovator Showdown!
I am thrilled to announce that OldNews USA won the RootsTech 2017 Innovator Showdown!
RootsTech is the world’s largest family history conference, held every year in Salt Lake City. The Innovator Showdown is a competition for new software applications that solve a problem related to family history. OldNews USA was selected as one of 10 semi-finalists from 40 entries, which was a huge honor given the quality and variety of the entries. The 10 semi-finalists competed in an event similar to Shark Tank, pitching their apps to a panel of 5 judges and a live audience. You can read about the Innovator Showdown results on the Family Search website.
RootsTech 2017 Innovator Showdown links:
- My submission for OldNews USA on Devpost website
- All of the entries in the Innovator Showdown, also on Devpost
- The list of finalists and semifinalists on the RootsTech 2017 website
- Complete video of the Innovator Showdown semifinals, hosted by Jason Hewlitt
- My interview with Devon Noel Lee, of Family History Fanatics
- Complete video of the Innovator Showdown finals, also hosted by Jason Hewlitt
- A great recap of innovation at RootsTech, by Nicole Dyer of Family Locket
My Favorite RootsTech Moment
Although it was certainly a thrill to win the Innovator Showdown, my favorite moment at RootsTech happened during the media dinner on Tuesday night, before the competition started. I was demonstrating the OldNews USA app to a man who had some genealogy experience, but had never tried historical newspaper research. He told me the name of his grandfather, the town where his grandfather lived along with the timeframe that he lived there. I entered his grandfather's information into the OldNews USA app on my phone. Using the first search suggestion, we found a lengthy article about his grandfather that contained a story that was unknown to the family! He was so surprised and so excited to find this story! In less than 2 minutes from the time we met, I was able to email him a clipping of a story about his grandfather along with a complete source citation. Although I wasn't surprised when we found an article, I was just as excited as he was, maybe more. This experience validated all of my work on OldNews USA, along with my vision for what mobile genealogy apps can accomplish.
Check out the Promotional Video for OldNews USA